Seven Mind-Altering Truths about The Milky Way Galaxy Video - Physics-Astronomy.org

Seven Mind-Altering Truths about The Milky Way Galaxy Video

According to the top estimates by astronomers from around the world, there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the visible universe. As for the parts of the space we can’t see? Who knows? Within these billions (if not trillions) of galaxies are billions (if not trillions) of stars… Quite mind-altering, isn’t it? It is literally beyond our skill to comprehend.
1. Latest research coming from a squad of international scientists led by Professor Heidi Jo Newberg of the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute suggests that the Milky Way Galaxy is at least 50 percent bigger than what is commonly supposed. These estimates are based on latest findings that reveal our galaxy is contoured into multiple concentric ripples. This means that the Milky Way Galaxy is not 100,000 glow years across, but at least 150,000 light years across. (source)
 2. At the center of the galaxy is a giant black hole which is billions of times as huge as the sun. Just imagine that… Here are a few imagery that will help you put that fact into perspective. Scientists consider that this black hole weighs as much as 4 million of our suns put jointly. Black holes are some of the strangest and the majority fascinating objects establish in outer space. Scientists don’t know what they are, but theories range from portals to other dimensions and extra. The first black hole was exposed in 1971. Our galaxy is hurtling through space, spinning approximately a giant black hole, while our sun & solar system travel with it. The solar system is travelling at speeds of approximately 515,000 miles per hour. Still at this speed, our solar system would take about 230 million years to travel all the way around the galaxy.
3. As mention in point #2, our galaxy is hurtling through the universe, and it’s not the just one. There are billions of galaxies out there, all responsibility the same thing. This massive collection of stars is constantly crashing into one more.
4. Our galaxy is home to (possibly) a figure of Earth-like planets. Quite a few Earth-like planets have already been exposed, but a group of researchers from Australia and Denmark just calculated that there are hundreds of billions of Earth-like plants in the Milky Way Galaxy:
“The ingredients for life are plentiful, and we now know that habitable environment is plentiful,” said Dr Lineweaver, who is a co-author on the paper submitted for newspaper in the Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society (arXiv.org preprint)
Using NASA data, astronomers have calculated for the first time that in our galaxy only, there are at least 8.8 billion stars with Earth-size planets in the habitable temperature zone. (source)
It’s main to note that not all planets have to be Earth-like in arrange to support extraterrestrial life. Who knows what setting are required for other lifeforms to exist? Their biological makeup could be completely dissimilar from ours, and it seems like pure hubris to assume otherwise.
Seven Mind-Altering Truths about The Milky Way Galaxy Video
The universal, overwhelming scientific consensus is no, we are not only (source), but not all consent that intelligent extraterrestrial life is, and has been, visit our planet. That being said, many prestigious scientists, astronauts, academics, and extra believe that the evidence for extraterrestrial visitation is quite solid. You can read extra about that here.

5. Apparently, there is a strapping possibility that the Milky Way and Andromeda galaxies will collide in about 2 billion years. That collision will last about 5 billion years. (The Milky Way [volume in Explore the Universe encyclopedic set]. 2010. Chicago, IL: World Book.)

6. A lot of scientists believe that the Milky Way is one of the oldest galaxies in the space. Estimates place the formation of our galaxy at approximately 13.6 billion years ago, & the ‘Big Bang’ was said to occur 13.7 billion years ago. (Trammel, Howard K. 2010. Galaxies (A True Book). New York, NY: Scholastic Inc.)

7. Approximately 90 percent of the Milky Way is invisible. Stars and dust create up only 10 percent of the totality mass of the galaxy, so where is the other 90 percent? Whatever it is, it does have mass, & scientists are calling it Dark Matter. (source)

No comments

Powered by Blogger.